Have you considered a stand-up desk workstation?
Stand-up desks are a fairly recent innovation, but a good one! They are a popular choice with a growing number of people whose work means they spend hours every day sitting in front of a screen. Stand-up desks were developed primarily as a response to the growing body of evidence which highlights the ill-effects that sitting for long periods can have on your body. Recent research has shown that prolonged sitting can increase the risk of a wide range of ailments, including poor posture, obesity, back problems, joint problems, circulatory issues and even diabetes. Although traditional advice to combat the effects of sitting for hours a time is to take regular breaks from the screen, a growing number of people are opting to supplement time away from the screen with periods of working in a standing position, using a stand-up desk workstation to enable them to work at the correct level.
What are stand-up desks?
At its most basic, a stand-up desk is simply a raised surface on which a laptop or computer can be located. Rudimentary stand-up desks may be completely static. Some people, particularly those with an office of their own, have two workstations – one at a height suitable for sitting, one at a height that’s ideal to work on when standing. More sophisticated models include a wide range of modifiable features, including powered models, tilting surfaces and an incredible choice of colors and styles.
What are the advantages of a stand-up desk workstation?
As well as a chance to stretch your legs and enjoy a welcome change of posture, research shows that stand up desks can have plenty of additional benefits, both in terms of health and productivity.
Some key advantages include:
- Burning more calories – Standing requires slightly more energy than sitting, as people shift their weight from foot to foot and also need to use their abdominal muscles. Although the difference is relatively small, over time the calories burned can really begin to add up, contributing to the maintenance of a healthy weight.
- Improving posture – Making the effort to stand tall at your standing desk can help to strengthen the muscles which help you to keep a good posture.
- Enhance circulation – the need to keep moving and shifting in order to maintain a comfortable standing position for a considerable period of time helps to boost venous return and reduce the risk of a poor blood supply.
- Reduce the risk of diabetes and other chronic diseases – Studies show that prolonged sitting can increase the risk of diabetes and some other diseases.
- Increased productivity – many people find that they work in a more focused manner when they are at a stand-up desk workstation
- Some studies also suggest that more standing can enhance mood and enable people to feel more energized.
With so many significant benefits, it’s little wonder that a growing number of people are opting for a stand-up desk workstation at which to work, or are investing in one to use during their leisure hours. If you would like to find out more about the types of stand-up desk on offer, take a look at our quick “features” guide below.
Features to look out for in a stand-up desk workstation
- Movement mechanism – Nearly all stand-up desks are height adjustable, but the mechanism used to vary the height changes. Manual stand-up desk workstation products usually have a pump, or other simple mechanism that needs to be adjusted by hand. More sophisticated tables will have an electric motor, that will cause the height to change at the touch of a button. Some stand up desks also employ gas spring technology, which results in a smoother, more controlled movement.
- Tilt – In addition to being able to raise the height of the surface on a stand-up desk, some models also enable you to alter the elevation (tilt) of the table top. Not only is this helpful if you undertake handwritten work or drawing, it can also enable screens to be placed at a more user-friendly angle for people with disabilities, or simply those that find working at an angle more comfortable.
- Table size – Stand-up tables come in a variety of different sizes. Particularly if you require significant amounts of equipment to be readily at hand when you’re working, or want to hold meetings with several people at a time, a larger stand up table could be just what you’re looking for. Conversely, there are some very compact stand-up desks available that are ideal for environments where space is at a premium.
- Separate levels for monitor and key board – Many people find that having their screen at head height and their keyboard at a lower level helps them achieve a more comfortable posture when they’re working. In addition to single level stand-up desk workstations, you can also find split level options that can be tailored to meet your individual requirements.
- Color and materials – Stand-up desks are available in a wide range of colors and materials. Depending on your budget and personal preferences, there are a wealth of different styles out there. Whether you want a high-end option made from premium timber, or prefer a more basic, composite surface, there’s always plenty of choice.
- Castors and brakes – Depending on your needs, a movable stand-up desk workstation may work better for you than a static one. Look out for desks that come with castors to facilitate easy shifting from one location to another.
In order to make things easier when it comes to your choice of stand-up desk, we’ve searched the market to identify seven stand-up desks that we believe offer a great choice of features as well as exceptional value for money.
A great budget option that’s easy to use and extremely portable, the X-Elite can be placed on any normal height desk surface to instantly give a surface that’s suitable for working in a standing position. Ideal as a quick fix solution, the X-Elite can be pump-adjusted quickly and easily to give the exact height that you need. Advantages of the X-Elite Pro-Lite include:
- A large work surface
- Arrives fully assembled
- Can be used on top of an existing desk, so there’s no need to free up additional space
The major advantages of this stand-up desk are its mobility and the split-level platforms that open up a number of different options for working. Each level can be independently adjusted, enabling users to customize the position of their screen and keyboard to an exceptional degree. Made from high-grade materials and constructed to a high specification, the ergonomic design ensures that it can be used comfortably by a wide range of different people.
- Castors and brakes for safe, easy movement between locations
- Extremely adjustable
- Meets ANSI/BIFMA minimum standards
- Good sized surface at each level
Not only is this stand-up desk compact enough for any working area and very straight-forward to use, it also comes with software that helps you maximize the health benefits which standing at work can bring. Packed with tips to enhance well-being at your desk, the software is just one of the many benefits that the CubeFit offers. Further benefits include:
- Ergonomic design
- Suitable for both laptops and desktops
- Adjusted using a sliding mechanism that locks off when the appropriate height is reached
- Economically priced
A great solution if you use twin monitors, the Mount-It sits on top of your existing desk to provide instant additional height. In addition to being able to raise the height of your monitors, there is also a mechanism for tilting them for optimal viewing – a really useful option when glare from overhead lighting can affect the clarity of the screen image. Easy to install and compatible with a wide range of monitors, the gas spring arm system and high-quality construction are further advantages of this versatile product.
- Spacious surface for keyboard and mouse
- C-clamp design for optimal stability
- Heavy-duty load capacity – up to 28.6lb!
A straight-forward clamping system effortless fastens this stand-up desk accessory to your existing workstation. The workstation is designed to hold two monitors and features an integrated cable management system to keep everything tidy. Gas spring technology results in smooth, easy movement.
- 180° swivel, 360° arm rotation
- Screens can be rotated to landscape or portrait orientations
- Weights only 20lb
- A very cost-effective solution to your stand-up desk workstation needs
Beautifully designed and very easy to use, the LUXOR Stand-Up Desk workstation uses a crank to raise or lower the desk surface. Users don’t have to move their monitors or change location – simply use the manually operated mechanism to alter the height to your personal requirements. Particularly if you want to stand for some of the time then have a period of sitting, the LUXOR allows you to change desk height with minimal disruption. It’s also movable, so can be located where required.
- Durable construction
- Powder coat paint finish
- Comes with all the tools needed for easy, rapid assembly
Benefiting from exceptional performance and stunning good looks, if you want an executive style stand up desk, this one is probably it. An electric motor enables the height of the work surface to be raised and lowers to your exact requirements at the touch of a button. American Walnut laminate gives an appealing look to this product, which is also designed for enhanced stability.
- Crossbar free for added leg room and stability
- Solid, durable construction
- Very quick to assemble as it has a screwless design
As the above selection shows, there are stand-up desk workstation options out there to suit every budget and user. Whether you’ve only just heard about the health and productivity benefits of a stand-up desk, or have already been using one but want to upgrade your workstation, something from this selection is going to suit.
Standing up to work has many benefits, but if you’ve previously been used to sitting, it may take a little while to get used to the new way of working. Experts advise to stand more gradually, interspersing periods of standing with walking or sitting, to give muscles a chance to get used to the challenge of more standing. It’s also important to make sure the desk is at the right height to promote good posture. With so many benefits, it’s little wonder that a growing number of people are opting to use a stand-up desk workstation in preference to a traditional seated model.